Monday, December 9, 2013

Blog 24




My presentation of my topic went well. I figured out a lot about my research that I needed to get sorted out so I could begin writing the rest of my draft.

*New Research question: How do teachers successfully use the behavioral strategy, Applied Behavioral Analysis, within the classroom?


*Categories: 1.Knowledge and Experience
                
                      2. Flexibility

                      3. Dedication


*Feedback from class

-The person I interviewed was very confident, informed, and experienced.

-She has responsiblities

-Emphasizes flexibility rather then ABA being rigid.

-Students are individuals

-Success story shows that she is proud

-The experience of the teacher really matters as well as extensive knowledge and proving of theory.


*Examples from Interview

Knowledge and Experience


A: I learned about ABA therapy while in school but never actually got to use it until I started my teaching at Barnegat. I also did a lot of my own research on ABA and I watched how other special ed teachers and therapists applied ABA strategies with the students.

C: So what would you say your definition of ABA is?

A: Well lets see...(seems to be thinking) I feel ABA is like a  training program of behaviors. Behaviors can be from mild to severe. ABA can also be used for regular ed. students who dont have much motivation. In my opinion it is a work-reward work-consequence system.

C: Nice, you seem really informed.

A: I mean I do it every day.

C: Can you tell me why you choose to use this strategy in the classroom?

A: I mean first of all I have seen the success in it. It doesn’t always work but I have found it to be the most successful approach.


Response: The highlighted portion of this part of the interview shows where I feel that A shows she has knowledge and experience regarding ABA. She learned it in school, from watching others teachers use it, and by getting her own research. This proves that she has knowledge and experience with ABA and she has, "seen the success in it."

*Flexibility

C: Im sure it is. But has there ever been a time that ABA hasn’t worked for your students?

A: Um of coarse..Students who lack motivation will sometimes not benefit from the ABA strategy.

C: So what do you do when this happens?

A: Well I would just use a different strategy then. Each student is very different and unique in how they learn and how they react to things. It is my responsibility as professionals to be ready and aware of this so we can implement a “Plan B” at any moment. 

Response: In this small portion of the interview, we find that A is very flexible when it comes to using  ABA with her students. She states that she understands that each one of her students is unique and not everyone is going to benefit from ABA. She is flexible in the sense that she is ready to use "plan B" if ABA does not work for one specific child. 

*Dedication

C: You seem to feel very strongly about the use of ABA.
A: Yes, I love it I really do. Its helped so many of my students.
C: Do you think you will continue to use ABA throughout your career?
A: I will 100% continue with ABA therapy throughout my career. Its proven system which I have been able to implement and use with little failure so far haha (fingers crossed). I think it is very important to have a good knowledge of this therapy whether you use it or not.


Response: In this part of the interview you can see A's dedication when she states that she has had little failure and she will continue to use the strategy because of this. This proves that due to her dedication to the ABA strategy her students have continued to benefit from the strategy, with few negative effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment